You’ve connected with your family, friends and co-workers and come up with a good preparedness plan. But if you don’t check out your plan now and then, you’ll forget what to do. Practice is crucial. Here’s how and when to practice:
- Twice a year. Practice earthquake and fire drills twice a year. An easy way to remember to practice your emergency drill is to do it when you change your clocks.
- Know exit routes. Practice using both of the exit routes you’ve planned to escape from your home.
- Make it realistic. Bring your emergency kit and pets, just as you would in a real disaster.
- Fire extinguishers. Keep at least one fire extinguisher in your home, and make an appointment at your local fire station to learn how to use it.
- Make it fun. If you have kids, you can make drills fun by having a picnic with your emergency supplies. Be sure to replace the supplies.